Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) Explained

Written by Darren Buma, CPA, CA on Oct. 21, 2020

“The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they must care for their child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care.

This applies if their school, regular program or facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19, or because they are sick, self-isolating, or at risk of serious health complications due to COVID-19. The CRCB is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

If you are eligible for the CRCB, your household can receive $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) for each 1-week period.

If your situation continues past 1 week, you will need to apply again. You may apply up to a total of 26 weeks between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021.” –

What does this mean and does it apply to you or an employee of yours?

In order to be eligible for the CRCB, you will need to meet the following conditions for the 1-week period you are applying for:

  • You have been unable to work for at least half of your scheduled workweek due to caring for a family member affected by COVID-19.
  • You are the primary care-giver to your child who is under 12 years old or a family member who needs continuous care because they are at home for the following reasons:
  • Their school, daycare, day program, care facility or caregiver are closed and/or unavailable to them due to COVID-19.
  • Regular care services are unavailable due to COVID-19.
  • The person you are caring for is:
  • Sick with COVID-19 or has COVID-19 symptoms
  • At risk of serious health complications should they contract COVID-19 (as advised by a medical professional such as a doctor, nurse practitioner, public health authority, person in authority or government).
  • Self-isolating due to COVID-19
  • You did not apply for or receive any of the following benefits for the same period:
  • Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
  • Short-term disability benefits
  • Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
  • Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)
  • WCB (workers’ compensation benefits)
  • You reside in Canada
  • You were present in Canada during the period you are applying for
  • You are a minimum of 15 years old
  • You have a valid SIN (Social Insurance Number)
  • You earned at least $5,000 in 2019, 2020, or in the 12 months before the date you apply from any of the following sources:
  • Employment income (total or gross pay)
  • Net self-employment income (after deducting expenses)
  • Maternity and parental benefits from EI
  • You are the only person in your household applying for the benefit for the week
  • You are not receiving paid leave from your employer for the same period

How much you receive per period

The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) provides a payment of $500 (before taxes withheld) per household for each 1-week period applied for. After the CRA withholds a 10% tax at source, the actual payment you get is $450 per 1-week period.

Only one eligible individual in the same household (living as a family at the same address) can apply for the benefit per week.

Each household may receive payments for a maximum of 26 weeks between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021.

If you are eligible, your payment amount will be the same for each period you have applied for, even if:

  • you are caring for more than one family member who needs supervised care
  • you worked for less than 50% of the work week

 How your payment is calculated:

$500 (CRCB gross amount)

Minus $50 (10% tax withheld at source)

Equals $450 (amount you receive per period)

Impact on your taxes

The 10% tax withheld at source may not be all the tax you need to pay. When you complete your personal income tax return, you may need to pay more (or less), depending on how much income you earned. You must still report CRCB payments that you receive as income when you file your personal income tax return.

The CRA will provide you with a T4A tax information slip at tax time for the amount you received for all CRA administered COVID-19 benefits.

How eligibility periods work

Each Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) eligibility period is a specific 1-week period. When you apply, your household will receive a $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) payment for that period.

The CRCB does not renew automatically. If your situation continues, you must apply for each period separately. You may apply for any eligible 1-week period for up to 60 days after that period has ended.

Each household can apply up to a maximum of 26 periods between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021. The 26 weeks do not need to be taken consecutively.

If you started caring for a family member part way through a period, you can only apply for that period if you missed more than 50% of that work week. If you miss less than that, you need to wait to apply for the next eligibility period.

Period start and end dates

Each 1-week period starts on a Sunday and ends on the following Saturday. You may start applying on the first Monday after the 1-week period you’re applying for has ended.

Recent periods:

  • October 11 to October 17, 2020 (Period 3)
  • October 4 to October 10, 2020 (Period 2)
  • September 27 to October 3, 2020 (Period 1) – if you are eligible, this period is open for application.  The earliest you can apply is Monday, October 5.

Your household eligibility ends after 26 periods

The benefit is available between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021. You can no longer receive CRCB payments after your household has reached the maximum of 26 periods.

Your eligibility cannot be extended, even if you need to care for the same or other family members for more than 26 weeks or if their school, regular program or facility is closed or unavailable to them again due to COVID-19.

To confirm the number of periods that you have already received the CRCB, you can review your application history in CRA My Account, under “COVID-19 Support Payment Application Details”.

How to apply

  • The easiest way to apply will be online through CRA My Account.
  • You may start applying on the first Monday after the 1-week period you are applying for has ended.  Applications do not renew automatically.
  • You must apply for each period separately. You may apply for any period you are eligible for that is open for application, including up to 60 days after the period has ended.
  • You may apply online or by phone.

When to expect your payment

If you are eligible for the CRCB, you can expect to get $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) for the 1-week period you applied for.

Direct deposit takes approximately 3 to 5 business days if you have your banking information on your CRA account.

If you do not have direct deposit set up, a mailed cheque should arrive in approximately 10 to 12 business days.

If your application requires further validation, processing may take up to 4 weeks from the time the CRA receives your documentation.

KWB strives to keep our clients informed of news that could affect their business and their lives.  If you would like to be a valued KWB client, click here  or call us at (780) 466-6204.

Source: Government of Canada

Darren Buma, CPA, CA

Darren Buma, CPA, CA


Darren completed is Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Alberta followed by his Chartered Accountant designation while working for one of the big-four firms in Edmonton.

Soon after receiving his accounting designation, Darren left public practice for nine years of experience in industry, holding various senior financial positions in both the high tech and real estate development sectors. In 2004 Darren returned to public practice and joined KWB.

With an aptitude for coaching entrepreneurs, Darren is passionate about delivering KWB’s ONSight Advisory services, helping his clients dramatically improve their businesses, and their personal wealth and happiness.
Internally, Darren focuses on innovation and technology solutions to help drive KWB forward.

Darren is blessed with a wonderful wife of over 25 years and together they are raising two sons who are currently both taking commerce at university. To keep the household busier, the family spends time chasing after their spunky Havanese-Poodle dog.

Darren is a big believer in giving back to the community. With a passion for the benefits of team sports for kids, Darren has coached minor hockey for over 13 years and is President of his local minor hockey association. Also wanting to give back to his profession, Darren is a member of the CPA Alberta Disciplinary Tribunal Roster, and is the past Chair of the Edmonton Chapter of Financial Executives International.

Outside of the office, Darren likes to play a few rounds of golf, spend time out at the lake, and lap his sports car around the local race track.

Darren's Contact Information

Other Posts by Darren

Sep 10 2013
Economic Update on U.S Interest Rates

Are you interested in what is happening with interest rates in the U.S.? Here is a quick and easy to understand summary.

Feb 19 2019
Disaster Recovery 101

Terrible devastation caused by flooding or fires is a potent reminder that one should not delay planning for disasters in advance. Learn how to approach designing your own Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP).

Jul 19 2013
Once in a Blue Moon

I recently read an excellent article about a rare economic occurrence that was happening this past June. To help you find out more about this rare economic occurrence, here is the full article prepared by Wealth Stewards Portfolio Management Inc. (WSPM)

Jun 26 2018

If one of your New Year’s resolutions was to save more money, then the Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) may be a good option for you to use. Learn more about the TFSA rules and limits.

May 30 2017
RRSP Contribution Room

RRSP’s can be a simple concept but they are also governed by some complex rules. Learn more about how your annual contribution limits are calculated and what to do if you have over contributed.

Jul 27 2012
The Value of Advice

What is the value of advice? When it comes to portfolio management, the overall value of the advice can be measured by comparing the performance of one portfolio over another in a specific amount of time. However, when it comes to wealth management, the overall value of the advice discussed regularly with clients is much more difficult to measure. Read on to see some real life examples of the value of the advice given.

Jan 8 2019
US Tax Filing

Are you a US citizen? Do you spend more than 120 days per year in the US? If so you may be required to file a US personal tax return.

Mar 4 2021
Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program (HASCAP)

If your small business has been hard-hit by the economic effects of COVID-19, you may be eligible for the Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program (HASCAP).  HASCAP offers low-interest loans, of up to $1 million per entity, over an extended term to help manage business continuity expenses. Guaranteed Loan The Government of Canada

Apr 15 2014
2014 Tax Filing Deadline

We would like to remind our clients that for the majority of Canadians, your personal income tax returns normally need to be filed by April 30. If you haven’t already brought us the information we need to prepare your return, we would ask you to do so shortly. CRA has extended the filing and payment

Jun 24 2014
Online Backups - Keeping it simple

Do you know someone who has lost critical and precious information that was stored on their computer? Are there things on your computer that you don’t want to lose such as financial or business records or personal information like family photos? We live in a digital world and we don’t have hard copies of anything

Nov 4 2014
FACTA Bank Reporting Requirements

Beginning in July of 2014, Canadian financial institutions will be required to start gathering and reporting information on accounts held by U.S. residents and U.S. citizens, including those who are resident of Canada. The account information will be collected and reported to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), who will then transfer the information

Jun 18 2019
Principal Residence Exemption

If you have sold your home and it is your principal residence then you should be able to use the principal residence exemption to reduce or eliminate any capital gain for income tax purposes on the sale of the property. CRA states that a principal residence can be a house, cottage, condominium, apartment, trailer, mobile

Sep 15 2015
Chartered Professional Accountants: It’s all in the name

On July 31, 2015 legislation in Alberta came into effect that will govern all professional accountants under one organization and one brand:  Chartered Professional Accountants or CPA for short. Prior to this change, you would have found Chartered Accountants (CA’s), Certified Management Accountants (CMA’s) and Certified General Accountants (CGA’s) all practicing in Alberta.  Although

Jul 2 2019
New Business Guide for setting up your business

If you are starting a new business in Canada or are operating one already, then this article is for you. Types of business structures The type of structure you choose has a significant effect on the way you report your income, the type of returns you file each year, and many other matters. The three

May 14 2019
Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

An RESP is an education savings account that is registered with the Government of Canada that helps you save for a child’s or grandchild's post-secondary education. With an RESP, you may be able to receive other saving incentives, such as the: Canada Learning Bond Basic and Additional Canada Education Savings Grant There are two different

Oct 9 2018
Strategic Planning

What if you knew the impact of an important decision before you made it? Could you and your business benefit from this “what if” strategic planning? You would be able to look at the potential outcome and financial impact of business decisions before they are made. At KWB we use software called Profit Driver to

Apr 30 2019

What’s the difference between eligible and non-eligible dividends?  What are the implications to you? Dividends are payments made to shareholders to allocate the earnings of a corporation.   There are two types of taxable dividends that a corporation can issue, non-eligible and eligible. non-eligible dividends are taxed at approximately 10% more than an

Sep 17 2019

There are many apps that can be integrated into your Quickbooks Online software in order to provide extra value and Dryrun is one of them. Forecast cash flow and sales Dryrun was created right here in Edmonton and is a forecasting tool that will assist you in making better decisions about your business.  You

Mar 19 2020
To our valued clients and business partners – a KWB announcement

KWB Chartered Professional Accountants has a proactive plan for continued operation in this new environment.  You and our team are our first priority.  We want to inform you of what changes we have made, so we can continue to complete the work you need us to do, while protecting both you and

Feb 17 2021
Best Practices for Submitting Documents Electronically

We are encouraging you to send us your personal tax information or corporate records electronically.   This guide will assist you through the process while ensuring your data is secure and well managed.  File Types:  We can accept pretty much any file types (PDF, jpeg, bmp, tiff, png, etc.) Image Quality: