Capital Dividend Account

Written by Stephanie Bergeron, CPA on Jan. 15, 2019

The capital dividend account (CDA) is used to track the amounts that can be paid out to shareholders, tax free.

How is the capital dividend account balance calculated?

  1. Capital gains and losses – The balance increases by 50% of any capital gains your company incurs, and decreases by 50% of any capital losses your company incurs.
  2. Capital dividend payments received – The capital dividend account balance will also increase by any capital dividends paid to your corporation, from another corporation
  3. Life insurance proceeds – If your corporation receives proceeds from a life insurance policy, and the proceeds are greater than the cost base of the life insurance, then that difference will be added to the capital dividend account balance
  4. Gains on eligible capital property – 50% of any gains on eligible capital property will be added to the capital dividend account balance.
  5. Gifting certain publicly traded securities to a qualified charity. The non-taxable portion of the capital gain will also be added to the capital dividend account balance


Year       Capital gain / (loss)          Non-taxable portion (50%)          CDA Balance

1              20,000                                   10,000                                                   10,000

2              18,000                                   9,000                                                     19,000

3              (7,000)                                  (3,500)                                                  15,500

4              14,000                                   7,000                                                     22,500

In this example, the corporation had capital gains in years 1, 2 and 4 which increased the capital dividend account balance by the non-taxable portion of the capital gain. The capital loss in year 3 reduced the capital dividend account balance, by the non-taxable portion of the capital loss. At the end of year 4, the corporation would be eligible to pay out $22,500 in tax free capital dividends to its shareholders.

Your corporation would have to file a signed form T2054 to pay out a capital dividend

How is the capital dividend balance paid to shareholders?

In order to receive a capital dividend, you need to have been a shareholder/unit holder when the capital dividend was declared. For example, a capital dividend is declared on November 30, you sell your shares in the company on December 1, but the capital dividend is not paid until December 15. In this instance, you would be entitled to your portion of the capital dividend payment because you were still a shareholder when the amount was originally declared on November 30.

Corporations declaring the capital dividend would have to file a signed form T2054, Election for a Capital Dividend as well as a certified copy of the directors’ resolution declaring a capital dividend. A CDA schedule, showing how the balance is calculated is the last piece that must be submitted.

Note that the T2054 election form is due on or before the earlier of the day that the dividend is paid or becomes payable. The T2054 may be filed late, but CRA charges a non-deductible penalty for each month that the election is late. The penalty is calculated as A x B, where:

A is the lesser of:

–          $ 41.67

–          1/12 of 1% of the amount of the dividend

B is the number of months and part-months between the filing due date and the actual date the election is filed

If you are an individual receiving the capital dividend payment you would not receive a T5, as you do with both eligible and ineligible dividend payments. You are not required to report receipt of the capital dividend anywhere on your personal tax return. Corporations and partnerships can also receive capital dividends, but would need to report these amounts on their T2 Corporate Tax Return or T5013 Partnership Return.

What if I declare a capital dividend that is more than the balance in my capital dividend account?

The penalty on paying excessive CDA dividends is equal to 60% of the excess dividend

Watch out! The penalty on paying excessive CDA dividends (also known as Part III tax) is equal to 60% of the excess dividend. For example, if your CDA balance was $100,000 and you declared a CDA dividend of $120,000 the penalty would be $12,000! ($20,000 excess x 60%).

You cannot change the amount of a capital dividend once the election has been filed. If you find that an excessive amount has been paid, it is possible to file another election to treat the excess portion as a taxable dividend, rather than a capital dividend. The new dividend would be treated as if it was received at the same time the original dividend became payable. This election (under subsection 184(3)) must be filed within 90 days after the date on the Notice of Assessment on excess dividends is issued. However CRA will not allow the 90 day time limit if there is any misrepresentation or fraud committed when filing the return.

Canada Revenue Agency has recently allowed situations where if you have been assessed part III tax, you can file an objection and still file the subsection 184(3) election noted above. The CRA will hold the election in abeyance until the objection is resolved. Essentially, you would be electing in advance. This way if your objection is not successful, you can still treat the excess portion of the dividend as taxable rather than having the pay the full penalty.

 What happens to my capital dividend account balance if I close my corporation?

CDA balances should be paid prior to dissolving or closing your corporation.

If you wind-up a corporation, the existing CDA balances will be transferred to the parent company.

In other cases, you may be distributing all of the corporation’s property prior to winding up the company. If this is the case, all property is deemed to be distributed at market value and is paid as a dividend. This can be costly. For example, property could include securities held and the value of stocks will vary greatly from one day to the next. The corporation can file an election to deem a portion of the dividend to be ‘capital’, as long as it does not exceed its CDA balance. The same T2054 election form should be used.

There may be issues with timing as it will be difficult to determine the market value of property until after the wind-up has occurred. However, CRA has indicated that in these instances, they will adjust a capital dividend to reflect the correct capital dividend account balance as required.

What can I do now?

As you can see, filing a correct CDA election is not easy and paying excessive capital dividends can be costly. It is critical to make sure that the CDA balance is correct, prior to declaring the capital dividend. A request can be submitted to CRA to verify the CDA balance. The request to CRA can only be made once every three years, so careful tracking of the CDA balance is recommended.

For more information on capital dividends from the CRA website, click here.

If you would like more information or have any questions, feel free to contact us at 780.466.6204, or click here to send us an email.

Thanks to Stephanie Kwan of KWB Chartered Professional Accountants for providing this content.

Stephanie Bergeron, CPA


Stephanie graduated from the University of Alberta in 2012 with a Bachelor of Commerce Cooperative Education degree in Accounting. After a few years of working in the world of GST/HST, she decided to go into public accounting and joined the KWB team in 2014.

In 2015, Stephanie passed the Chartered Professional Accountants Common Final Evaluation, becoming one of the first to graduate from the CPA Professional Education Program in Alberta. She finally received her designation in 2017. In her spare time, Stephanie enjoys baking and sharing those treats with family and friends.

Stephanie's Contact Information

Other Posts by Stephanie

Jul 31 2018
Personal Services Business (PSB)

In the past, it was OK and even advisable to conduct business through an incorporated company even if PSB rules applied. With recent changes to the rules, though, this is no longer true.  So what are these changes, and what do they mean to you?

Aug 19 2014
Companies with Internet Based Sales

Do you sell any products or services online? If your answer is yes, the CRA has introduced a new form that needs to be filed with your corporate tax return. Schedule 88 on Internet Business Activities is required if your business earns income from any websites, or is involved in any of the following: -         

Apr 9 2015
Cost of Being Found to be a Personal Services Business (PSB)

We often hear about individuals who decide to incorporate while working as an employee for a business. But is it really beneficial to do so? Let’s look at an example. Joe works as an employee and earns employment income (a T4 slip) in Alberta. On July 1, he incorporates. Although he has incorporated, he continues

Jun 16 2015
Tuition and Education Amounts

As a student, you may be wondering what deductions you can make on your tax return. Can you claim the cost of textbooks? Can you transfer your credits to someone else?   What deductions can I claim? There are three credits available: tuition, education, and textbook amounts. These are non-refundable tax credits that can be

Jul 23 2019
EI for the self-employed

An advantage to being self-employed is that you don’t pay into Employment Insurance (EI) like employees do. However, a program was introduced in 2010 which allows self-employed individuals to opt in to pay Employment Insurance (EI) premiums. Now that this has been in effect for a number of years, let’s revisit some of the key

Mar 22 2016
CRA Online Mail

Tired of waiting for snail mail? The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) now allows you to receive some of their correspondence electronically through their My Account service. What correspondence does this apply to? Notices of Assessment (issued after February 9, 2015) Notices of Reassessment (issued after February 9, 2015) Tax Free Savings Account letters (issued after

Feb 7 2017
Taxpayer Bill of Rights

There are 16 rights set out in the Taxpayer Bill of Rights that you should expect when dealing with the CRA. These apply regardless of whether you are an individual or own a business. Their goal is to increase transparency, accountability, and to improve the quality of service they provide. You have a right to:

Jul 9 2019
Electing out of CPP payments

Did you know that if you are receiving CPP benefits, are still working and are between the ages of 65 and 70, you can elect to stop making CPP contributions. Contributing to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is mandatory for working Canadians between the ages of 18 and 64, but optional after age 65. This

Apr 23 2019
Apprentice Tax Credit

If you have apprentices working for you, then you should be taking advantage of the apprenticeship job creation tax credit. (Apprentice Tax Credit) An investment tax credit can be claimed on eligible salaries paid to eligible apprentices. The credit is equivalent to 10% of salaries and wages paid to that individual, to a maximum of

Sep 20 2016
New Home Rebate

Buying or building a new home? Did you know that if you purchase a new home or have substantially renovated your own, you can claim a rebate on the GST or HST you paid through CRA’s new home rebate. What qualifies? Your home must meet the following conditions: Must be you or your relation’s primary

Dec 6 2016
CRA Statistics

Have you ever wondered about CRA statistics like how many tax returns get filed each year or how much Canadians pay in taxes each year? Earlier this year, CRA released their 2014-2015 Annual Report to Parliament which included the following CRA statistics: 28 million tax returns were filed for the 2014 year. Approximately 1% of

Dec 13 2016
Small Business Deduction

The current Small Business Deduction in Canada allows corporations to pay a lower rate of tax on their first $500,000 of active business income. Active business income includes income earned from a company’s regular operations, but excludes other income such as rental or investment income. Budget 2016 released by the federal government has introduced

Apr 3 2018
Changes to the Principal Residence Exemption

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) made a major change to the Principal Residence Exemption that affected Canadians when filing their 2016 tax returns. Regardless of whether the sale is exempt or not, individuals are now be required to report the sale of their principal residence on their personal tax return. Under the Principal Residence Exemption

Jul 25 2017
CRA Audit

Many companies may experience a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) audit. Here’s what you need to know: Types of Audits: Not all CRA audits are the same! In some cases, they may only want to see records pertaining to one area or it could be a full audit. Here are a few details regarding the different

Oct 3 2017
GST Compliance Campaign

If you have received mail from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regarding previously filed GST returns it is likely part of their GST compliance campaign. In December 2016 and March 2017, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) launched a pilot project GST compliance campaign and sent over 750 letters to businesses registered for GST/HST. The letter

Dec 12 2017
Allowable Business Investment Loss

An allowable business investment loss can arise in many ways: 1)      Through a disposition of shares in a small business corporation 2)      Through a disposition of debt owed to you by a small business corporation 3)      When amounts that you have loaned to a small business corporation become uncollectible, or the corporation has gone bankrupt

Nov 21 2017
CRA Service Standards

CRA service standards have been set by the CRA to give you an idea how long it should take to receive a response to your submission. The CRA service standards for 2017 & 2018 have been released and the turnaround times that Canadians can expect are as follows: Document   or Service Turnaround   Time

Jan 2 2018
CRA Audit Approaches

If you have been selected for a CRA audit, you may be wondering what kind of tests they will perform. While this largely depends on whether the CRA auditor believes your records are accurate and reliable, they are also required to perform a number of indirect tests to verify that what you have earned has

Jul 17 2018

TSheets is a website application that is used to track time and help with scheduling. If you’re tired of tracking your time sheets manually, this may be the solution for you! Regardless of whether you are an employee, management, moving from one job site to another, or work in the same office each day, there

Nov 20 2018
Work in Progress

If you have a professional corporation then the new work in progress tax rules will likely affect you! Professional corporations are typically set up and used by accountants, lawyers, dentists, doctors, veterinarians and chiropractors. Instead of running their business as a sole proprietor, everything happens under an incorporated entity. Work in progress (WIP) includes any