CRA Audit

Written by Stephanie Bergeron, CPA on Jul. 25, 2017

Many companies may experience a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) audit. Here’s what you need to know:

Types of Audits:

Not all CRA audits are the same! In some cases, they may only want to see records pertaining to one area or it could be a full audit. Here are a few details regarding the different types of audits you can expect:

  • A CRA audit of a tax return could look at a single month or the audit could cover multiple years’ worth of returns.
  • Sometimes CRA will request supporting documents for numbers claimed on a tax return before issuing a Notice of Assessment. If a refund is being claimed, it will not be issued until they receive and approve of the information requested.
  • A CRA audit could occur after a Notice of Assessment has been issued. They might perform a full audit, where they review the support for each line item reported on a tax return. A CRA audit could also be limited to one area such as meal and entertainment expenses, payroll, or GST.

CRA will not correspond by email

Audit Process:

The CRA will either contact you by phone, by letter or both. They will provide you with a list of records they require, as well as the date they need those records by.

A CRA audit is conducted in one of two ways:

  • Off-site – where you will need to either bring in, mail or fax the requested records to the auditor. In most cases, you will be given a case or reference number where you or your accountant can upload records securely through the CRA’s website.  (Note that for off-site audits, the auditor may not be in your area. You may be dealing with CRA offices in other provinces. )
  • On-site – where the auditor will come to your place of business to conduct the audit during the agreed upon time.

For these audits, the auditor will typically work in or around your area.

It is important to note that CRA will not correspond by email. You will never receive an audit notification or be able to send any records to an auditor using this method. If you do receive an email, be aware that it could be fraudulent. To learn more about how the CRA communicates with taxpayers about scams, click here.

Records Required:

A CRA audit will typically require:

  • Full copies of the tax returns in question
  • General ledgers/journals (you may be asked for backup copy of your records if they are in an electronic format such as Microsoft Excel, Sage or Quickbooks, etc.)
  • Sales invoices and purchase receipts
  • Copies of contracts or agreements in place
  • Bank and credit card statements
  • Adjusting journal entries posted by your accountants
  • Accounting records of other people or businesses related to your business

The above list is not inclusive and CRA may ask for additional information and details regarding the area they are concerned about. For more about the accounting and tax records you need to keep and for how long, click here.

If the auditor finds that you have paid too much, you will be entitled to a refund.

Audit Results:

Once the CRA audit is complete, there are three possible results:

  • Correct assessment – they find that what has been filed on your tax return to be correct and no changes are to be made. If the auditor finds the assessment to be correct, a final letter will be issued to you.
  • Taxes owing – you may need to pay additional taxes if the CRA finds more income that needs to be reported or expenses that are not allowed.
  • Refund – yes this is possible! If the auditor finds that you have paid too much, you will be entitled to a refund.

If the auditor finds that you owe more taxes or are entitled to a refund, you will first receive a ‘Proposal Letter’ that will explain the changes they want to make to your tax return. You will typically have 30 days to contact the auditor with any additional information you would like them to consider.

Once this period has passed and all information has been reviewed, a final letter and a Notice of Reassessment will be issued.

What happens next?

If you do not agree with the results of the audit, you can appeal it by filing a Notice of Objection. A Notice of Objection can only be filed once you receive the Notice of Reassessment for the tax return in question.

The deadline for filing a Notice of Objection is 90 days after the date on your Notice of Reassessment. If you are past the deadline, you can also apply for an extension. For more information on next steps, click here.

If you would like more information or have any questions, feel free to contact us at 780.466.6204, or click here to send us an email.

Thanks to Stephanie Kwan of KWB Chartered Accountants for providing this content.

Stephanie Bergeron, CPA


Stephanie graduated from the University of Alberta in 2012 with a Bachelor of Commerce Cooperative Education degree in Accounting. After a few years of working in the world of GST/HST, she decided to go into public accounting and joined the KWB team in 2014.

In 2015, Stephanie passed the Chartered Professional Accountants Common Final Evaluation, becoming one of the first to graduate from the CPA Professional Education Program in Alberta. She finally received her designation in 2017. In her spare time, Stephanie enjoys baking and sharing those treats with family and friends.

Stephanie's Contact Information

Other Posts by Stephanie

Jul 31 2018
Personal Services Business (PSB)

In the past, it was OK and even advisable to conduct business through an incorporated company even if PSB rules applied. With recent changes to the rules, though, this is no longer true.  So what are these changes, and what do they mean to you?

Aug 19 2014
Companies with Internet Based Sales

Do you sell any products or services online? If your answer is yes, the CRA has introduced a new form that needs to be filed with your corporate tax return. Schedule 88 on Internet Business Activities is required if your business earns income from any websites, or is involved in any of the following: -         

Apr 9 2015
Cost of Being Found to be a Personal Services Business (PSB)

We often hear about individuals who decide to incorporate while working as an employee for a business. But is it really beneficial to do so? Let’s look at an example. Joe works as an employee and earns employment income (a T4 slip) in Alberta. On July 1, he incorporates. Although he has incorporated, he continues

Jun 16 2015
Tuition and Education Amounts

As a student, you may be wondering what deductions you can make on your tax return. Can you claim the cost of textbooks? Can you transfer your credits to someone else?   What deductions can I claim? There are three credits available: tuition, education, and textbook amounts. These are non-refundable tax credits that can be

Jul 23 2019
EI for the self-employed

An advantage to being self-employed is that you don’t pay into Employment Insurance (EI) like employees do. However, a program was introduced in 2010 which allows self-employed individuals to opt in to pay Employment Insurance (EI) premiums. Now that this has been in effect for a number of years, let’s revisit some of the key

Mar 22 2016
CRA Online Mail

Tired of waiting for snail mail? The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) now allows you to receive some of their correspondence electronically through their My Account service. What correspondence does this apply to? Notices of Assessment (issued after February 9, 2015) Notices of Reassessment (issued after February 9, 2015) Tax Free Savings Account letters (issued after

Feb 7 2017
Taxpayer Bill of Rights

There are 16 rights set out in the Taxpayer Bill of Rights that you should expect when dealing with the CRA. These apply regardless of whether you are an individual or own a business. Their goal is to increase transparency, accountability, and to improve the quality of service they provide. You have a right to:

Jul 9 2019
Electing out of CPP payments

Did you know that if you are receiving CPP benefits, are still working and are between the ages of 65 and 70, you can elect to stop making CPP contributions. Contributing to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is mandatory for working Canadians between the ages of 18 and 64, but optional after age 65. This

Apr 23 2019
Apprentice Tax Credit

If you have apprentices working for you, then you should be taking advantage of the apprenticeship job creation tax credit. (Apprentice Tax Credit) An investment tax credit can be claimed on eligible salaries paid to eligible apprentices. The credit is equivalent to 10% of salaries and wages paid to that individual, to a maximum of

Sep 20 2016
New Home Rebate

Buying or building a new home? Did you know that if you purchase a new home or have substantially renovated your own, you can claim a rebate on the GST or HST you paid through CRA’s new home rebate. What qualifies? Your home must meet the following conditions: Must be you or your relation’s primary

Dec 6 2016
CRA Statistics

Have you ever wondered about CRA statistics like how many tax returns get filed each year or how much Canadians pay in taxes each year? Earlier this year, CRA released their 2014-2015 Annual Report to Parliament which included the following CRA statistics: 28 million tax returns were filed for the 2014 year. Approximately 1% of

Dec 13 2016
Small Business Deduction

The current Small Business Deduction in Canada allows corporations to pay a lower rate of tax on their first $500,000 of active business income. Active business income includes income earned from a company’s regular operations, but excludes other income such as rental or investment income. Budget 2016 released by the federal government has introduced

Apr 3 2018
Changes to the Principal Residence Exemption

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) made a major change to the Principal Residence Exemption that affected Canadians when filing their 2016 tax returns. Regardless of whether the sale is exempt or not, individuals are now be required to report the sale of their principal residence on their personal tax return. Under the Principal Residence Exemption

Oct 3 2017
GST Compliance Campaign

If you have received mail from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regarding previously filed GST returns it is likely part of their GST compliance campaign. In December 2016 and March 2017, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) launched a pilot project GST compliance campaign and sent over 750 letters to businesses registered for GST/HST. The letter

Dec 12 2017
Allowable Business Investment Loss

An allowable business investment loss can arise in many ways: 1)      Through a disposition of shares in a small business corporation 2)      Through a disposition of debt owed to you by a small business corporation 3)      When amounts that you have loaned to a small business corporation become uncollectible, or the corporation has gone bankrupt

Nov 21 2017
CRA Service Standards

CRA service standards have been set by the CRA to give you an idea how long it should take to receive a response to your submission. The CRA service standards for 2017 & 2018 have been released and the turnaround times that Canadians can expect are as follows: Document   or Service Turnaround   Time

Jan 2 2018
CRA Audit Approaches

If you have been selected for a CRA audit, you may be wondering what kind of tests they will perform. While this largely depends on whether the CRA auditor believes your records are accurate and reliable, they are also required to perform a number of indirect tests to verify that what you have earned has

Jul 17 2018

TSheets is a website application that is used to track time and help with scheduling. If you’re tired of tracking your time sheets manually, this may be the solution for you! Regardless of whether you are an employee, management, moving from one job site to another, or work in the same office each day, there

Nov 20 2018
Work in Progress

If you have a professional corporation then the new work in progress tax rules will likely affect you! Professional corporations are typically set up and used by accountants, lawyers, dentists, doctors, veterinarians and chiropractors. Instead of running their business as a sole proprietor, everything happens under an incorporated entity. Work in progress (WIP) includes any

Jan 15 2019
Capital Dividend Account

The capital dividend account (CDA) is used to track the amounts that can be paid out to shareholders, tax free. How is the capital dividend account balance calculated? Capital gains and losses – The balance increases by 50% of any capital gains your company incurs, and decreases by 50% of any capital losses your company