New Business Guide for setting up your business

Written by Darren Buma, CPA, CA on Jul. 2, 2019

If you are starting a new business in Canada or are operating one already, then this article is for you.

Types of business structures

The type of structure you choose has a significant effect on the way you report your income, the type of returns you file each year, and many other matters.

The three most common types of new business structures are listed below with a brief description of each.  For further information on the best structure for your new business, contact KWB and we’d be happy to discuss this with you and determine the best structure for your current and future needs.

  • Sole proprietorship: is an unincorporated business that is owned by one person in which the owner has sole responsibility for making decisions, receives all the profits, claims all losses, and does not have separate legal status from the business.

If you are a sole proprietor, you pay personal income tax on all revenue generated by your business and you also assume all the risks. The risks extend even to your personal property and assets.

  • Partnership: is an association between two or more individuals, corporations, or partnerships that join together to carry on business.

The partnership itself does not pay tax, each partner includes their share of the partnership income or loss on their personal, corporate, or trust income tax return.  The partnership must file an annual partnership income return with CRA.  The partner is responsible for their share of the liabilities of the partnership.

  • Corporation: is a separate legal entity as it can enter into contracts and own property on its own name, separately from its owners (shareholders). Since a corporation is a separate legal entity, it must file its own tax return.

As a shareholder you have limited liability, which means that you and the other shareholders are not responsible for the corporation’s debt unless you as a shareholder provide personal guarantees for a loan.

Step 1:  Now that you have determined the structure of your new business, you need to incorporate or register your business name.


You can incorporate your company at an authorized registry, or use legal services to assist in the incorporation.  KWB is able to refer you to a number of legal services that can assist you with incorporating your new business, and we recommend this approach.  Most “do-it-yourself” incorporations are not created properly and require costly legal fees to correct. For example, you should talk to us about the types of shares and number of shares that should be issued to each person that you are thinking about involving in your business, and who should be involved in order to optimize your tax planning.

The following information is required when incorporating:

  • Share structure
  • Any restrictions on the transfer of shares
  • Number of directors
  • Any restrictions on the type of business that the corporation may conduct
  • Any other rules or provisions the corporation would like to include.
  • Corporations can operate under the corporate number provided, however, if a corporate name is desired you will need to request a NUANS report and an Alberta Name Reservation Report.  We recommend that the company be named rather than use the original corporate number.

Sole Proprietorship and Partnership:

Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships must register a business name when they carry on business under a name that is not their personal name.  This can be done through an authorized service provider.

In addition, both may need to apply for a business number from Canada Revenue Agency, for GST, payroll, or export purposes.

Step 2:  When you register a new business, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will assign a business number (BN) to identify your business.

There are five major CRA business program accounts:

  • RC – corporate income tax
  • RT – GST/HST
  • RP – payroll deductions
  • RM – import  / export
  • RZ – information return

Each program account is assigned the same BN followed by the program abbreviation above to help distinguish what account it is.

Registration for a BN and CRA program accounts can be done in four ways:

Before you register for your BN, you will need to provide the following:

  • Name of the new business
  • Its location
  • Its legal structure (corporation, partnership or sole proprietorship)
  • Its fiscal year-end
  • What the sales or revenue of your business is expected to be
  • How frequently you want to file your GST returns
  • If you want to use the “Quick Method” of GST filing. See our blog for more info.

Without this information, you will not be able to complete form RC1.

Corporate income tax number (RC)

Corporations must have an RC number in order to pay their corporate income taxes.  An RC number is not applicable to Sole Proprietorships or Partnerships.

GST registration number (RT)

A company must register for GST if revenues from taxable goods and services are over $30,000.  The benefit to registering your company for GST at the beginning of operations is the ability to claim GST income tax credits on initial expenses. When you become a GST registrant, you can select one of three reporting periods depending on your threshold amount.  If you do not select a reporting period, CRA will assign you one based on your threshold amount.

                    Threshold Amount             Reporting Period Options Available
   $1,500,000 or less    Annual, quarterly, or monthly
   More than $1,500,000 but less than $6,000,000    Quarterly or monthly
   More than $6,000,000    Monthly

Your fiscal year for GST purposes should be the same as your fiscal year for income tax purposes.  Ensure that both fiscal years match when you register for GST.

Payroll number (RP)

If the new business is paying employees it will require a payroll account to which source deductions are paid.  You are responsible for deducting CPP, EI premiums, and income tax from your employee’s remuneration.

To calculate various deductions, you can use the Payroll Deduction Online calculator at, or see Guide T4001, Employer’s guide for further details.

Step 3:  Opening up a bank account

There are a number of items you will need in order to open up a bank account for your new business.  Below are some of the items that may be required by your bank.

  • Two pieces of identification like: drivers license, passport, social insurance number etc. (from the shareholder, the sole proprietor or all partners)
  • Two pieces of identification of the signing authorities (for corporations)
  • Certificate and articles of incorporation if a corporation
  • Trade name registration and the partnership agreement if a partnership
  • Trade name registration if operating under a name other than your personal name (for sole proprietorships)

Step 4:  Other considerations

WCB (Workers Compensation)

Is the business in an industry that requires WCB coverage?  See for a listing of exempt industries.

Business License

Is the business required to obtain a business license?  See for a listing of the types of businesses that require a license. 


Has the company purchased adequate insurance coverage?  KWB is able to refer you to a commercial insurance broker for assistance with determining the proper levels of coverage and other risks associated with your business.

  • Property
  • Liability
  • Business interruption
  • Surety bond (if required in the company’s industry)


Registering a domain name for your business will allow you to establish a web site to promote your new business.

Accounting Software

There is a legal requirement to maintain adequate records of your business activities.  Depending on the size and complexity of your business maintaining your records can be done manually, tracked on spreadsheets, or through various accounting software packages which range from basic free bookkeeping programs, small business payroll and accounting packages, to full service business management programs.

Accounting software will handle all the financial aspects of your company.  Even the simplest programs will help you pay bills, create invoices, calculate and track GST, maintain receivables, track cash flow, and automate general ledger activities for revenues and expenses.

More sophisticated programs will include payroll and inventory modules, and enhanced reporting to help you gain insight into your business and drive profitability.

QuickBooks Online (“QBO”) has quickly become our software program of choice.  QBO is a cloud based software designed to provide real time information from anywhere and anytime.  It has been designed to integrate with apps to process receipts and expense, track employee time, and manage inventory and more. It also allows shared access to your accountant or bookkeeper so that we can provide you support when you need it. If you would like more information about QBO, please refer to our blog article Switching to QuickBooks Online (QBO).

We also provide full service bookkeeping or partial bookkeeping if you would like to do some of it yourself.  This allows you to have easy access to the information you need, while we do the majority of the work, so that you can save time and focus on your business. If you would like further information on bookkeeping services please contact us and we can advise you as to the options available.

Keeping records

Regardless of the accounting method you use, your records must be complete. They must contain a systematic account for your income, deductions, credits, and other information you need to report on your income tax and GST returns.

All records such as paper documents and those stored in an electronic medium, must be kept in Canada or made available in Canada for a period of seven years from the date of the last tax assessment or tax reassessment notice for that year and they must be in English or French.

For further details, we recommend reading Canada Revenue Agency’s guide RC4070 – Guide for Canadian Small Businesses which provides details on CRA programs and online services. It also provides an overview of your obligations and entitlements under the laws administered by the CRA.

If you would like more information or have any questions, feel free to contact us at 780.466.6204, or click here to send us an email.

Thanks to Darren Buma of KWB Chartered Professional Accountants for providing this content.

Darren Buma, CPA, CA


Darren completed is Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Alberta followed by his Chartered Accountant designation while working for one of the big-four firms in Edmonton.

Soon after receiving his accounting designation, Darren left public practice for nine years of experience in industry, holding various senior financial positions in both the high tech and real estate development sectors. In 2004 Darren returned to public practice and joined KWB.

With an aptitude for coaching entrepreneurs, Darren is passionate about delivering KWB’s ONSight Advisory services, helping his clients dramatically improve their businesses, and their personal wealth and happiness.
Internally, Darren focuses on innovation and technology solutions to help drive KWB forward.

Darren is blessed with a wonderful wife of over 25 years and together they are raising two sons who are currently both taking commerce at university. To keep the household busier, the family spends time chasing after their spunky Havanese-Poodle dog.

Darren is a big believer in giving back to the community. With a passion for the benefits of team sports for kids, Darren has coached minor hockey for over 13 years and is President of his local minor hockey association. Also wanting to give back to his profession, Darren is a member of the CPA Alberta Disciplinary Tribunal Roster, and is the past Chair of the Edmonton Chapter of Financial Executives International.

Outside of the office, Darren likes to play a few rounds of golf, spend time out at the lake, and lap his sports car around the local race track.

Darren's Contact Information

Other Posts by Darren

Sep 10 2013
Economic Update on U.S Interest Rates

Are you interested in what is happening with interest rates in the U.S.? Here is a quick and easy to understand summary.

Feb 19 2019
Disaster Recovery 101

Terrible devastation caused by flooding or fires is a potent reminder that one should not delay planning for disasters in advance. Learn how to approach designing your own Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP).

Jul 19 2013
Once in a Blue Moon

I recently read an excellent article about a rare economic occurrence that was happening this past June. To help you find out more about this rare economic occurrence, here is the full article prepared by Wealth Stewards Portfolio Management Inc. (WSPM)

Jun 26 2018

If one of your New Year’s resolutions was to save more money, then the Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) may be a good option for you to use. Learn more about the TFSA rules and limits.

May 30 2017
RRSP Contribution Room

RRSP’s can be a simple concept but they are also governed by some complex rules. Learn more about how your annual contribution limits are calculated and what to do if you have over contributed.

Jul 27 2012
The Value of Advice

What is the value of advice? When it comes to portfolio management, the overall value of the advice can be measured by comparing the performance of one portfolio over another in a specific amount of time. However, when it comes to wealth management, the overall value of the advice discussed regularly with clients is much more difficult to measure. Read on to see some real life examples of the value of the advice given.

Jan 8 2019
US Tax Filing

Are you a US citizen? Do you spend more than 120 days per year in the US? If so you may be required to file a US personal tax return.

Mar 4 2021
Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program (HASCAP)

If your small business has been hard-hit by the economic effects of COVID-19, you may be eligible for the Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program (HASCAP).  HASCAP offers low-interest loans, of up to $1 million per entity, over an extended term to help manage business continuity expenses. Guaranteed Loan The Government of Canada

May 18 2021
Developing and Tracking Your Success: Are You Measuring Your KPIs?

Do you want to make sure your business is heading in the best direction to achieve your goals? By establishing, tracking, and improving your key performance indicators, you have a much greater chance of getting there.   We can work with you to customize financial and non-financial KPIs, and create a reporting tool to

Apr 15 2014
2014 Tax Filing Deadline

We would like to remind our clients that for the majority of Canadians, your personal income tax returns normally need to be filed by April 30. If you haven’t already brought us the information we need to prepare your return, we would ask you to do so shortly. CRA has extended the filing and payment

Jun 24 2014
Online Backups - Keeping it simple

Do you know someone who has lost critical and precious information that was stored on their computer? Are there things on your computer that you don’t want to lose such as financial or business records or personal information like family photos? We live in a digital world and we don’t have hard copies of anything

Nov 4 2014
FACTA Bank Reporting Requirements

Beginning in July of 2014, Canadian financial institutions will be required to start gathering and reporting information on accounts held by U.S. residents and U.S. citizens, including those who are resident of Canada. The account information will be collected and reported to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), who will then transfer the information

Jun 18 2019
Principal Residence Exemption

If you have sold your home and it is your principal residence then you should be able to use the principal residence exemption to reduce or eliminate any capital gain for income tax purposes on the sale of the property. CRA states that a principal residence can be a house, cottage, condominium, apartment, trailer, mobile

Sep 15 2015
Chartered Professional Accountants: It’s all in the name

On July 31, 2015 legislation in Alberta came into effect that will govern all professional accountants under one organization and one brand:  Chartered Professional Accountants or CPA for short. Prior to this change, you would have found Chartered Accountants (CA’s), Certified Management Accountants (CMA’s) and Certified General Accountants (CGA’s) all practicing in Alberta.  Although

May 14 2019
Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

An RESP is an education savings account that is registered with the Government of Canada that helps you save for a child’s or grandchild's post-secondary education. With an RESP, you may be able to receive other saving incentives, such as the: Canada Learning Bond Basic and Additional Canada Education Savings Grant There are two different

Oct 9 2018
Strategic Planning

What if you knew the impact of an important decision before you made it? Could you and your business benefit from this “what if” strategic planning? You would be able to look at the potential outcome and financial impact of business decisions before they are made. At KWB we use software called Profit Driver to

Apr 30 2019

What’s the difference between eligible and non-eligible dividends?  What are the implications to you? Dividends are payments made to shareholders to allocate the earnings of a corporation.   There are two types of taxable dividends that a corporation can issue, non-eligible and eligible. non-eligible dividends are taxed at approximately 10% more than an

Sep 17 2019

There are many apps that can be integrated into your Quickbooks Online software in order to provide extra value and Dryrun is one of them. Forecast cash flow and sales Dryrun was created right here in Edmonton and is a forecasting tool that will assist you in making better decisions about your business.  You

Mar 19 2020
To our valued clients and business partners – a KWB announcement

KWB Chartered Professional Accountants has a proactive plan for continued operation in this new environment.  You and our team are our first priority.  We want to inform you of what changes we have made, so we can continue to complete the work you need us to do, while protecting both you and

Oct 21 2020
Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) Explained

“The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they must care for their child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care. This applies if their school, regular program or facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19

Feb 17 2021
Best Practices for Submitting Documents Electronically

We are encouraging you to send us your personal tax information or corporate records electronically.   This guide will assist you through the process while ensuring your data is secure and well managed.  File Types:  We can accept pretty much any file types (PDF, jpeg, bmp, tiff, png, etc.) Image Quality: