The businesses and services on the essential services list can continue to provide services at locations accessible to the public and must have proper risk mitigation measures in place, such as sanitation stations and appropriate distancing between customers.
The intent of this list is to provide general guidance to business owners and operators. It is not meant to be exhaustive.
Businesses not on the list
If your business type is not specifically listed as prohibited to operate, or if you do not fall within specific parameters that are stating that you are prohibited to operate according to the restrictions on gatherings and businesses, you are safe to continue operations.
Workplaces that are not otherwise restricted or ordered to close can have more than 15 workers on a work site as long as they follow all public health guidelines, including physical distancing measures. Employers should:
- self-assess and find alternate ways to organize large group meetings
- cancel workplace gatherings of 15 or more people in a single space (such as training events)
- employ mitigation strategies to limit risk
- continue business continuity planning to prepare critical operations for any potential interruption
For a full list of Essential Services please click here: https://www.alberta.ca/essential-services.aspx
Business, workplace and facility closures
Albertans are prohibited from attending all non-essential retail businesses, including:
- gift, hobby, antique and specialty stores
- non-essential health and beauty care providers
- clothing stores that sell men’s’, ladies’ and children’s wear as well as unisex, lingerie and maternity wear, shoes, bridal wear, jewellery and accessories
- retail stores that sell, luggage, art and framing supplies, computers and gaming equipment, toys, photos, music, books, and sporting goods
These businesses may choose to offer online shopping and curb-side pick-up.
Albertans are prohibited from accessing close contact personal services, including personal services facilities, cosmetic enhancement services, wellness studios and clinics, non-emergency and non-critical health services.
Personal services facilities and cosmetic enhancement services include:
- body waxing
- body, nose and ear piercing
- artificial tanning and spray tanning
- facial treatments
- eyebrow and eyelash treatments
- laser hair and tattoo removal
- cosmetic skin and body treatments
Wellness studios and clinics include:
- floatation tanks
- colonic irrigation
Non-emergency and non-critical health services provided by regulated health professionals or registered professionals include any non-emergency or non-urgent:
- foot care and podiatry
- acupuncture and acupressure
- chiropractic services