Best Practices for Submitting Documents Electronically
We are encouraging you to send us your personal tax information or corporate records electronically. This guide will assist you through the process while ensuring your data is secure and well managed.
- File Types: We can accept pretty much any file types (PDF, jpeg, bmp, tiff, png, etc.)
- Image Quality: Obviously, the better the quality, the better for us. Our preference (in order from best to worst) are as follows
- Original digital documents from the source
(Bank, vendor, etc.)
- Black and white scan of an original (desktop scanner or phone scan apps)
- Cellphone picture of a document
- File Names: to the extent that a good description of the document can be in the file name, it really helps us identify and organize the documents. If that is not easily done, don’t worry about it.
- Scanning with Your cellphone: There are some really handy and free phone apps for scanning documents. The benefits of these are that they convert the image to a smaller data file, rather than a picture. When using these, it is best if you can scan in black & white rather than colour or greyscale.
- Using our file transfer system: KWB employs an industry leading and secure file transfer system called Citrix ShareFile. Through this, you can upload any number and size of files without the restrictions that e-mail systems have. We recommend this over e-mailing attachments as e-mails are a much less secure way of sending your data.
- Who to send your data to: If you are sending us data that has not been requested by a specific person, we ask that you use our centralized file transfer link: https://kwbllp.sharefile.com/r-r17f4d94eee844a4a
If you are working directly with one of our team members and they have requested documents from you, use the link in their e-mail signature to directly and securely upload documents to that person:
- Upload in one batch per taxpayer or corporation: Although we certainly can receive documents in one or multiple uploads, it is much easier if:
- There is only one upload for each taxpayer or
corporate entity. This means using the
above links every time for a new individual or entity.
- That the person or entity is identified clearly in the welcome screen
- That you transfer all of the files into the webpage before pushing “upload”. Each time you press “upload” it initiates a separate transfer It’s better if it comes as one upload.
We thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Darren Buma, CPA, CA
Darren has a passion for small business and loves to work with both budding and experienced entrepreneurs. After articling with KPMG and receiving his Chartered Accountant designation, he left to explore the world of small business. What he was expecting to be a short exercise turned into nine years of excitement. During that time he helped to grow and operate a variety of private companies in both commercial real estate development and computer software development.
In 2004 Darren joined KWB so that he could have the best of both worlds, running a small entrepreneurial firm and being in a position to help entrepreneurs like you, grow your business and secure your future. He became a partner at KWB in 2007. His knowledge and advice isn't just academic, Darren lives the roller coaster of entrepreneurship that you ride every day.
Aside from his responsibilities at work, Darren is active in the community. He is a past Chair of the Edmonton Chapter of Financial Executives Canada, sits on the disciplinary tribunal roster for the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta, and is active in minor hockey both as Treasurer for his local hockey association as well as coaching numerous hockey teams over the years.